Saturday, February 28, 2015

Supporting the Kid

Sometimes it's not about teaching.  Sometimes it's about showing interest.

Teacher Tip:
To get your kids to want to do well, you have to first show interest in their interests––and it counts more if your show it outside of the classroom.

Little picture taken with my little phone.

This week I went to a basketball game.  It's fun to go and sit with the other teachers. I only teach a small handful of kids, but I still had a couple of students on the team, and they had kept asking me if I was coming to their game.

Our 7th graders won their game with no sweat.  Our 8th graders started out strong, but in the last minute of the game, the other team caught up and we were tied.  Everyone was going crazy!  They fouled us in the last ten seconds and we were awarded 2 free throws––we missed the first!  (Suspense!)  We made the second!  With only a few seconds left to go, our team kept control of the ball and we won the game. Go CUBS!

I don't know if my students even saw me in the stands, but the best part was talking about the game with them the next day at school.  Even my "I'm too cool for all of this" student smiled a bit and talked with me about what he liked and how he wanted to improve next time.

1 comment: