Friday, January 23, 2015

Hypotheses and Conclusions

My eighth graders were having a lot of trouble with their hypothesis and conclusion writing.  So when we came back from winter break I made a point to spend at least two solid weeks on this stuff.  They're going to be high schoolers next year, and need to know this. For sped, it's helpful if you give them a solid template to use.  My template probably isn't the best, but it's what I came up with and it's what we're using.

Hypothesis template: 
I hypothesize that an increase/decrease in ___________________ will increase/decrease the __________________. 

Conclusion template: 
My hypothesis stated that ______________________________. My results do/do not support my hypothesis.  The results show that___________________________, because___________________.


With the hypothesis template they know that if they are choosing a variable instead of increasing one, then they can manipulate the wording. For example, if you're trying to see which liquid (coke, water, or juice) will make the plant grow the most, you wouldn't say "I hypothesize that an increase in juice will increase plant growth;" rather, you would say "I hypothesize that the juice will increase plant growth the most."  etc. etc.

Here are my worksheets and a preview of them:






No comments:

Post a Comment