Monday, November 16, 2015

Separating Mixtures

In follow up to our lessons on elements, compounds, and mixtures, we talk about how we can separate mixtures.  Our curriculum requires us to teach 4 different separation techniques: filtration, evaporation, magnetism, and screening.

The first day I introduce this, I give small demonstrations of each one. 
  • I make a mixture of salt water and have that boiling throughout the lesson until it's all gone and only the salt is left.  
  • I have a screen and put a mixture of rocks and dirt through it.  
  • I have a filter and put some stuff through it. 
  • And then this year another teacher let me borrow her mixture of iron filings and sand with her magnet, so we got to show the kids that one as well.  (I also took the kids outside and showed them that the magnet will pick up the iron in the dirt.  One kid came back the next day and said he tried that in his backyard and it worked. Happiness.)
We don't spend much time on this, so there's just a few activities plus a couple of worksheets.  Here's the worksheet I created for this:

Click below for worksheet


No comments:

Post a Comment