Monday, January 26, 2015

Lunch Detention

I'm currently in lunch detention with one of my students.  I don't give lunch detention often, and there's good reason for it.

Definition: Lunch Detention
Kids hate it, teachers hate it. It's not an awesome thing.

But at times it is a necessary thing.  If my kids receive 3 warnings in class due to inappropriate behavior, they stay behind for a minute while I explain their consequence: they have to write me half a page apology letter, explaining what they were doing wrong, what they should have been doing, and why it is important to follow classroom rules.

If they come back next class and have the letter written, then all is good and well.  If they haven't written the letter, then they get to have lunch detention where they use that time to write the letter.  

The student right now is moaning the fact that he has to write this letter. Every so often I hear, "Is two lines enough?"  "No."  "Is three lines and one fifth enough?"  "No" (but at least he can determine fractions!)  He's having a hard time figuring out why following rules is important.  

What's interesting is that this student is not one I ever anticipated receiving this consequences.  uuuuuhhhhhh.  

At least the lunch I brought today doesn't require the microwave.

1 comment: